Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tweaked: Natalia Kills - Kill My Boyfriend

Natalia Kills burst onto the scene last year with her debut album, Perfectionist. Though the album did not take off in the United States, I found love in several of the songs. Once it finally saw its US release, it included the new track "Kill My Boyfriend." The track is fun and quite catchy, despite it's grim content. I hailed Natalia as the beginning to be the next Lady GaGa. In the video for "Kill My Boyfriend," which she just released, she seems to channel some of the "The Fame" era GaGa, the era that GaGa herself needs to start over again. One notable similarity I saw was the sunglasses in the video. I am not implying that Kills is a GaGa knock-off in anyway. They both are vastly different.

"Kill My Boyfriend" is upbeat, which makes it instantly loveable. It gets stuck in your head and you can't help but chant "kill, kill, kill!" with her. If you haven't checked it out yet, you're missing out. It lands among her best beside "Wonderland" and "Acid Annie." The song itself earns a 4/5.



The video takes a unique twist, at least in my opinion. For one, it seems to replace blood with milk. Is this a hint that the boyfriend she killed was lactose intolerant? Just kidding! However, the neat idea, as it came across to me, was that she made it seem like she was schizophrenic by having herself in the driver seat and the passenger side of the car, as well as several other scenes where she appears more than once in the frame. The video was good. Do I think it could have been better? Definitely. As it stands, the video receives a 3/5. Check it out below:

No comments:

Post a Comment