Saturday, August 27, 2011

MTV VMAs 2011 Predictions for Fan Voted Categories

As we all know by now, the Video Music Awards will be airing tomorrow evening on MTV. So, what better time than now to cast some predictions as to who will win. If the show goes anything like last year (which I pray it won't), I could just scream LADY GAGA right now and call it a day. That woman is an award show vacuum cleaner. If there is a trophy in sight, she generally sucks it right up. It annoys me. MTV is already on my bad list with this year's show by totally throwing some shade at Rihanna. Zero nominations? With videos out in the past year such as Only Girl (in the World), S&M, and California King Bed? Shady! Anyways, below are the nominated artists and song (or videos) and my predictions as to who will win as well as who I would have picked!

Best New Artist:
Big Sean feat. Chris Brown - My Last
Foster the Kids - Pumped Up Kicks
Kreayshawn - Gucci Gucci
Tyler, the Creator - Yonkers
Wiz Khalifa - Black and Yellow

Predicted Winner: Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
I don't know why this song is so popular. It sounds like a bunch of mumbling in the verses. I had to look up the lyrics to see what they were saying and then I STILL couldn't make it out in the song. I will admit the chorus is quite catchy though. I catch myself singing it in my head every other day. It will inevitably win simply because of it's overwhelming and confusing popularity.
My Choice: Wiz Khalifa - Black and Yellow
It's really the only song out of the options I care for. I really feel like they could have found better options for this category...

Best Pop Video:
Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Britney Spears - Till the World Ends
Bruno Mars - Grenade
Katy Perry - Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
Pitbull - Give Me Everything

Predicted Winner: Adele - Rolling in the Deep
The song has been the longest running #1 on the Billboard charts this year and will undoubtedly take this one unless Brit manages to weasel the award even though Till the World Ends was my least favorite video of hers this year. Adele pulled a lot of nominations for this video, but really the video was not overly fantastic. The song is good, however. Mind you, it nearly knocked me off my feet that I didn't see Lady Gaga's name in here.
My Choice: Katy Perry - Last Friday Night
Despite being exceptionally long (and pulling a Gaga!), I would pick this video out of the options given. I'm really shocked Pink's Raise Your Glass wasn't nominated here. Back on topic, Katy pulls out internet "sensation" Rebecca Black for this video and makes her look pretty! That alone took a great deal of work. Then, she develops the character of Katy Beth Terry who is undoubtedly a parody of Beyonce's alter ego Sasha Fierce, in the sense that Sasha was incredibly sexual and beautiful....and Kathy Beth is a huge nerd. I just loved it!

Best Rock Video:
Cage the Elephant - Shake Me Down
Foo Fighters - Walk
Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
Mumford & Sons - The Cave
The Black Keys - Howlin' for You

Predicted Winner: Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
Once again, I get the feeling this will win.
My Choice: Foo Fighters - Walk
First off, this is the only video I would consider rock! The rest are like folk music or alternative at the very least. But, anyway, the Foo Fighters are the best of the options offered....where is Rise Against's Make It Stop...that's my pick!

Best Hip-Hop Video
Chris Brown feat. Busta Rhymes & Lil Wayne - Look at Me Now
Kayne West feat. Rihanna & Kid Cudi - All of the Lights
Lil Wayne - 6 Foot, 7 Foot
Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On
Nicki Minaj - Super Bass

Predicted Winner: Lil Wayne - 6 Foot, 7 Foot
And I pray that I'm wrong! I loathe Lil Wayne unless he is featured in a song. This is seriously the hardest one to call at this point. I just took a shot in the dark, it's really up for grabs, though I think Nicki and Lupe probably have the smallest chance.
My Choice: Kanye West - All of the Lights
The editing in this video is superb! I had a terrible time making this decision because I love all of these songs except Lil Wayne's. Finally, MTV used some sense in their nominations. I would love to see Nicki take this award because she's the underdog but based on the actual video, I pick Kanye. I would jump out of my seat and cheer if it went to The Show Goes On! It's all up in the air.

Best Female Video
Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Beyonce - Run the World (Girls)
Katy Perry - Firework
Lady Gaga - Born this Way
Nicki Minaj - Super Bass

Predicted Winner: Born This Way - Lady Gaga
In keeping with tradition of the VMAs, I have to say Lady Gaga even though the video was horrible. It actually managed to ruin this song for me. I'd say she deserved this award if they had picked Judas but no, they picked her worst video to date. Even Alejandro was better than this cinematic nightmare. It could as easily fall into Adele's hands as well.
My Choice: Katy Perry - Firework
The video is touching and actually made me tear up a little the first time I watched it. It'd be nice to see something with a good meaning take this award. Firework excels where Born this Way couldn't, both in meaning and in the video. I would much rather see Katy's bra launching fireworks than watch Lady Gaga give birth...to whatever she gave birth to.

Best Male Video:
Grenade - Bruno Mars
Cee Lo Green - F*** You
Eminem feat. Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie
Justin Bieber - U Smile
Kayne West - All of the Lights

Predicted Winner: Cee Lo Green - F*** You
This song was a smash and I have yet to fully grasp why. I don't know for certain though. Kanye or Eminem could easily take the cake...and even possibly U Smile just because it's Justin Bieber and all his fans may have hyperventilated and voted for him religiously.
My Choice: Eminem feat. Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie
Not only did I pick it because Rihanna shows up in the Best Male Video category, but I think it's the best video, though Kayne is a close second. But, who can resist Rihanna's sexy outfit and red hair in this video. Let's face it, Em. Rihanna won you this award in my book!


Best Collaboration
Chris Brown feat. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes - Look at Me Now
Kayne West feat. Rihanna & Kid Cudi - All of the Lights
Katy Perry feat. Kanye West - E.T.
Nicki Minaj feat. Drake - Moment 4 Life
Pitbull feat. Ne-Yo - Give Me Everything
Predicted Winner: Katy Perry feat. Kayne West - E.T.
Granted, Kayne was only added to the single version of this track to make it sell since the original version leaked months before Teenage Dream even dropped. However, I think it's a good collaboration and the video is very Avatarish and people eat that up.
My Choice: Katy Perry feat. Kayne West - E.T.
Refer to above paragraph. For once, I think the predicted will match my pick.

Video of the Year
Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise
Bruno Mars - Grenade
Katy Perry - Firework
Tyler, the Creator - Yonkers

Predicted Winner: Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Once again, very few good nominees in my book....where is Rihanna's S&M? Anyway, Adele will take it, no doubt in my mind.
My Choice: Katy Perry - Firework
My choice is S&M....oh wait! Okay, I will go with Firework for all the reasons listed last time I picked it! By the way, where the hell did the Beastie Boys come from with that nom? and I'm not even gonna touch whoever the hell Tyler, the Creator is! Duh, it's to help Adele win.

Best Video with a Message:
Eminem feat. Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie
Katy Perry - Firework
Lady Gaga - Born this Way
Pink - F**kin' Perfect
Rise Against - Make It Stop (September's Children)

Predicted Winner: Lady Gaga - Born this Way
Gag me. I foresee this one being a slam dunk for the top tranny in the game. Oops, am I being rude? Don't get me wrong. I love the song but the video was HORRIBLE. However, her large cult of "little monsters" plagued the polls to vote for this one, I'm more than certain. It's sad really.
My Choice: Rise Against - Make It Stop (September's Children)
Not being biased, but I would honestly choose this song because it has the most special meaning. How often do you see a rock band going to bat for LGBT community? Lady Gaga has ALWAYS gone to bat for them. I think it's time recognition be given to someone else who doesn't use homosexuals as a marketing campaign. My hat is off to Rise Against, they'll always be the winner in my book. I'm being unbiased here because I'm sure everyone expected me to say Pink because of my undying love for her or pick Firework because I did earlier. Nope, my pick is Rise Against.

Check in here tomorrow during the award show and after when I'll write up an article about it (possibly not until Monday) with my insight on the performances and a tally of how many categories I properly predicted! Let me know what you guys think!

No comments:

Post a Comment