Thursday, May 19, 2011

PEAKED: Adele - Rolling in the Deep


The woman with a voice like no other, Adele, has finally scored her first #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart and is holding it tight for a second week with Rolling in the Deep. Her powerhouse vocals are astounding on the track, infused with some sassy attitude aimed a man doing no good. This has to be one of my favorite Adele songs I have ever heard, second only to Set Fire to the Rain. I have to say I was not much of a fan of Adele until 21 dropped. My initial reaction to Rolling in the Deep was that it was good but dismissible. It took quite a few plays to grow on me but, once it did, it was suddenly on repeat.

My favorite verse of the song is:
 Throw your soul through every open door
Count your blessings to find what you look for
Turn my sorrow into treasured gold
You pay me back in kind and reap just what you sow

The vocal performance on the first line of this captivates the listener and immediately made me want to sing along. It is nice to see someone who isn't supermodel skinny and not performing synthesized stereotypical pop finally topping the Billboard Hot 100. Make no mistake, I love Rihanna, Katy Perry, and most other female artists as much as the next crazed fan, but it was time for someone different to have a turn on top. After all, Katy Perry's E.T. has been on top forever, minus the one week where Rihanna's S&M took the peak position. I wish Adele a long and amazing run at the peak position and congratulate her for standing up to the incredibly tough competition for a second week!

I give Rolling in the Deep a 5/5! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment