Thursday, November 22, 2012

Leak: Cher - Woman's World

The long awaited lead single from Cher's comeback album is finally here! A snippet, as played in a Detroit nightclub, made its way online a few weeks ago, sparking outrage from Cher. She tweeted that she was not angry over the leak, but that they played the demo. She promised that the final version was much better. The demo in its entirety showed up online yesterday. Cher and her team must have decided they had lost this war and chose to finally release the single. Scheduled for an initial January 2013 release after the demo snippet leaked and caused a pushback.

Cher premiered the song on her soundcloud account around midnight this morning and stated that it will be officially out on Monday.

Check out the track below:
Listen to Cher's Woman's World

The track is quite catchy. The club banger takes off right from the start with a feminist anthem of independence and strength after a broken heart, much like Believe with more muscle. Cher bellows long and amazing notes, that first really showed the strength of her voice in You Haven't Seen the Last of Me from her 2010 film Burlesque. Do I think this track will be as successful as Believe? No. The track is great and a whole lot of fun, however, it is tailor-made for the club scene. I don't see this taking off on radio, but will be thumping through every gay bar in the nation by next weekend. The track is nearly flawless regardless. The only part I found that seemed out of place was the repetitive part about everyone in the club standing up. Once again, that part immediately sinkholes the track from any possible radio success.

As for me, I'll be enjoying this song for a long time to come and cannot wait for her album, especially for the P!nk-penned track I Walk Alone. This album seems to be Cher showing her independence. While she's almost pushing 70, you can't tell it. Those that know her age may find it odd that she's singing about dancing in a club, but the track is awesome. The cover is a bit iffy. She looks overly photoshopped and I hate her auburn hair. I do like the font they used for her name. You can see it by the sound cloud track, I haven't managed to get my hands on an actual single cover copy yet. I really do hope this comeback will do better for her than Madonna's MDNA! I've always loved Cher over Madonna. I think it's because I feel that P!nk and Cher are a lot alike, making Cher instantly likeable. Though I prefer her 80's rock, I can't wait for the new album!

Overall, 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment